I. Call to order
Ken Wright called to order the regular meeting of the DHA at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday July 11, 2004 in DeKalb Cultural Arts Center room 4 - 5339 Chamblee-Dunwoody Road.
II. Attendance sheet
An attendance sheet was passed around to record attendance.
III. Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes were approved.
IV. Open issues
Overlay District- Amendment to allow personal services in O&I- Bob Lundsten update
- Got the first draft from the county attorney's office completed. The first draft needs some work and be much more specific in the details. After revisions the draft will be presented to the DHA for acceptance or not.
Fulton- Skyridge/Spalding property development- Don
- It was reported Don Boyken executed an agreement between the DHA , Sky ridge homeowners association/adjoing neighbors and G. Harvey representing the builder
Peachland Homes- Peeler Road development (Ty White
- Would like to bring in a Walgreen's or a CVS on the commercial side.
- DHA is asking for architecture of the Traditional Dunwoody style/Overlay district.
- Trying to incorporate the Overlay standards to achieve the look of Dunwoody.
- For the residential they want to rezone to RM100. And Ty White brought renderings to present to DHA the look and feel of the proposed town homes.
- 40 units of town homes with the average price of @ 225K
- All but 6 of the 40 (3 story) town homes will be 2 brm.
- Ty proposes submitting a list of conditions of both residential and commercial to the DHA (in the absence of a neighborhood organization for that area)
- What's left at this point between DHA and Peachland Homes is and agreement on conditions and then a contract with Walgreen's and /or CVS
V. New business
Zoning Issue Presentations
Wal-Mart- Ashford Dunwoody Road
- Has not filed an application to do anything, they will have to
- Proposing to change the store to a Super Wal-Mart and allow for the grocery store
- Are fully prepared to assist the community to work with the property owner with outstanding community issues related to the center at large.
- They are going to do a traffic study and address that issue.
- DHA is asking Wal-Mart work on the parking lot traffic as well
- Initial plans call for going back 50 feet back beyond the original building and 100 feet wider than the original footprint
- They are working with Bob L and DHA to bring the correct zoning and original conditions to the center, not just the Wal-Mart store
- The encroachment on the stream buffer is a problem that requires investigation
- Wal-Mart agreed to move all the outdoor sales away from the front, inside of a bricked gate
Life Center Ministries new sign (Mt Vernon)
- DHA is working with Life Center on some new signage, and Bill has lunch with them on Wednesday.
Community Notes and Presentations
Saundra Davis- Running for Judge DeKalb State Court
Joe Bemry - Running for Dekalb CEO
Marta Speeding Issue on Chamblee Dunwoody/Austin School-Al Tiede
- Al will continue to work this issue and report back to the Board
New Peachtree Middle School update- Dan Weber
- The RFP has been sent out and the proposals are due by the end of July.
- Showed the renderings of the site and buildings
- There is a new exterior look that the DHA has approved
- Looking to break ground early next year
Mt Vernon/Ashford Dunwoody RD intersection- Gordon Jackson
- Meeting with PCID in and commissioners/ staff in Decatur
- BB&T/Toolan- Building has begun, Overlay ordnance was adhered to
- Toolan will start construction in two weeks
Dial Mart code infractions- Gerri
- Gerri has been working very close with Officer Wallace and will to continue to work with the business to bring into to code.
Winters Chapel Rd/Dunwoody Club Dr Public Information Meeting - Dekalb Traffic Commission
- Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2004
- Time: 6:30 - 8:00 pm
- Place: Beth Shalom - 5303 Winters Chapel Road
Jim Dixon - Resident, Non member
- Was allowed time to give the attendees his views and opinions
Brook Run - Update - Nick
Children's Adventure Garden 2 update- BOC agenda July 13th
- No Report
Messages & Updates from the President- Ken Wright
Crier/DHA sponsored CEO candidate debate forum July 8th @ Perimeter College. Thank you Bob Lundsten & the Crier for organizing the event
Overlay District - Bill Phillips - Status Update
- No report
Communications - Monthly updates - Bill Robinson
4th July parade Rap up
(Great job & Thanks to Bill & Nick and all others involved)
- Awarded Ken Wright with a Certificate of Appreciation for working with the Rangers
- 171 entries, 136 last year
- Exceeded 2000 individuals as part of parade
- Crier and DHA estimates 25,000 people in attendance
- Sherman is up for writing next Crier article
- Dunwoody Nature Center wrote a very nice letter to DHA for financial support
Membership- Sherman Dudley
- No Report
PDK Discussion - David Fowler
- No Report
Board discussions & Votes
- Peachland Homes - Motion to vote to approve the project based on the concept pending a list of conditions drawn up and approved by the DHA.
Vote approved unanimously.
- Wal-Mart - discussion is that we need to continue discussions & work with Wal-Mart , no vote.
Ken Wright adjourned the meeting at 9:42 p.m.
Minutes submitted by: Brian Smith
Minutes approved by: Ken Wright