1. Zoning issues:
- Crowne Pointe - Located off Crowne Point Parkway adjacent to fire station. Current plan calls for 88 townhouses, low $200-300's, and 9000 sq. ft of retail space. Board approved subject to conditions presented.
- Life Center Ministries sign - no show.
- Peachland Homes - no show.
- WALMART expansion - Revised plans include brick façade, halo-lit signage, outside sales (seasonal plants) limited to 90 days annually and other DHA conditions.
- School parking lot on Spalding at Woodland - no show.
2. Overlay District - Bill Phillips introduced EDAW who described creating a demonstration "streetscape" project along the south side of Mount Vernon Road between Chamblee-Dunwoody Road and Ashford-Dunwoody Road. The design can be presented to DeKalb County as an amendment to the Dunwoody Village Overlay District. Bill Phillips will contact BP, BB&T and the contractor for the dental office to follow this new design. The DHA Board approved the two following motions: 1. DHA approves $8.5K for EDAW to design a streetscape for a demonstration project for the area described above and that the design criteria be submitted to DeKalb County for revision of the Dunwoody Village Overlay District. 2. DHA will encourage BP, BB&T and the contractor for the dental office, all now under construction, to implement the EDAW design.
3. Community Notes:
- North DeKalb code enforcement - no show
- Dr. Vicky Ferguson, North Springs High School principal, discussed her school's qualities and its value to the community.
- MARTA speeding - MARTA will host a community meeting at the Dunwoody Library on Thursday, September 16 to discuss speeding in the Austin Elementary School area.
- New Peachtree Middle School - Dan Weber reported that construction plans are proceeding satisfactorily.
- Mount Vernon/Ashford-Dunwoody roads intersection - Redesign will incorporate DHA needs (triangle will not be eliminated).
4. Brook Run - At a September 10 meeting, DeKalb County Parks and Recreation encouraged the Brook Run Ad Hoc Committee to form a 501(c)3 to help DeKalb County complete the Long Range Plan approved by the County Commissioners. Rick Jones has agreed to produce the document. The name of the organization will be the "Brook Run Conservancy." Bids for the Children's Adventure Garden will be opened the week of September 27. Parks and Rec is pursuing Phase II, a skateboard project. They plan to open a district office at Brook Run in the near future.
5. The DHA Board observed a moment of silence for Rodney Wells, a past president of the DHA, who died July 13, 2004.
6. Code infractions - no show.
7. Revamp DHA web site - Celeste Webb described the planned features of a newly designed web site she and Jay Kapp have discussed. The DHA Board approved the concept with the understanding details must be approved by the Board. The Board also approved Jay Kapp as web site host.
- September - Nick Nicodemus
- October - Sherman Dudley
- November - Margot Cole
- December - Ken Wright
9. Light up Dunwoody - Margot Cole asked DHA to underwrite $2700 to purchase and erect a 14' Christmas tree on the lawn of the farmhouse. This was approved. She will ask DPT to match this cost. She also asked for funds to landscape the Chamblee-Dunwoody - Peeler - Shallowford intersection; she will ask for a new design that will not be a visual hazard to drivers. Board approved $500 for Dunwoody Nature Center.
10. Membership - Sherman Dudley was authorized to spend $500 for an insert in Crier.
11. PDK discussion - no show.